Dos and don’ts of requesting time off:
This gives your manager time to arrange the schedule without you.
Give your boss at least two weeks notice when asking for time off.
Every company is different so follow your company’s policy for time off requests.
I recommend putting your requests in writing.
How do I ask my boss for time off?
12 Tips to Ask for Time Off From Work
- Plan the best time to ask your boss. Timing is everything.
- Ask at a good time for the company.
- Schedule your time in advance whenever possible.
- Use it or lose it.
- Don’t ask at a peak time.
- Request time off in writing.
- Ask, don’t tell.
- Help plan the workflow.
How do you ask for time off in writing?
- This is a formal request for time off, so unless you know the recipient very well, start your email with Dear .
- State the dates of your absence clearly.
- Be clear right from the beginning what it is you are asking for.
- Give clear reasons why you need the time off, but don’t go into too much unnecessary detail.
How far in advance should you ask for time off?
Rule 4: How Far In Advance Time-Off Requests Need To Be Made
A minimum of two weeks lead time is a good starting point for most businesses, although you can change that to fit your particular needs. You could also set a date each month after which requests will not be accepted.