How do you ask someone to be a reference?
Tips for Requesting a Reference
- Choose whom to ask wisely. Typically, you need to provide potential employers with three references.
- Phrase your request carefully.
- Include all the details.
- Use postal mail or email.
- Edit your correspondence carefully.
- Say thank you.
How do you ask someone to be a reference via email?
Here’s an example email for how to update your references:
- Subject line: Reference request – update. Dear [Reference’s name], Thank you again for being a reference for me.
- Subject line: Reference request – thank you! Dear [Reference’s name],
- Subject line: Reference request. Dear [Potential reference’s name],
Do you have to ask someone to be a reference?
You haven’t asked your references for permission.
Always ask for permission to use someone as a reference, and give them as much information about the jobs you’re applying for as possible.
How do you ask for a new employee reference?
To request a reference for a prospective employee you should:
- Get written, detailed and signed consent from the prospective employee before approaching a referee.
- Use a standard reference request letter.
- Be consistent in the information you ask for in reference requests.