How do you politely ask for a deposit?
When it comes to deposits, Parsons and others advise:
- Know what you can legally ask for.
- Be consistent and build the deposit into your sales model.
- Discuss the deposit as part of the overall payment plan.
- Prepare to stand firm.
- Be creative.
- Choose your payment method.
- Don’t assume that a written check is money.
How much should you ask for a deposit?
Ask for enough to make it worth your time and, get the client to have some skin in the game. A good rule of thumb is 25-50% of the average price of the project your doing.
When should I ask for a deposit?
Here are some times when you should be fearless in asking for a deposit.
- The project will take time. Depending on the type of business you run, your projects can span weeks, months, and even years.
- You risk non-payment.
- You need collaboration from the client.
- You need solid cash flow.
- You have project-related costs.
How do I ask for payment before delivery?
10 Ways to Get Paid in Advance (Before Your Invoice Is Due)
- Ask for payment upfront.
- Ask for half (or partial) payment upfront.
- Offer 2/10 Net 30.
- Request payment before delivery.
- Send electronic invoices.
- Include payment options.
- Add late fees.
- Send an invoice reminder (before you even send the invoice)