How do you ask your doctor if you can shadow them?
How do you find opportunities to shadow a doctor?
- Create a list of medical specialties that interest you. We know, it’s crazy early to be deciding the rest of your medical career with hardly any knowledge.
- Try shadowing your family doctor.
- Once you have a connection, ask.
- Enjoy the clinical experience.
- Send a thank you note.
How do I prepare for shadowing a doctor?
Do’s and Don’ts of Shadowing Doctors
- Be direct and brief in your emails when expressing your interest in shadowing.
- Be punctual, every day.
- Wear professional attire.
- Bring a notebook and a pen to jot down notes.
- Be as discreet and inconspicuous as possible.
- Be observant.
How do I write a letter of shadowing request?
A job shadowing request letter needs to be succinct and professional. At the very least it should include an introduction and a brief description of yourself, your reasons for wanting to job shadow, and the formal request.
How long do you shadow a doctor?
Why to Shadow a Doctor
Shadowing allows you to get a clear sense of what it’s like to be a practicing doctor. For this reason, many medical schools across North America have a minimum requirement for shadowing hours. This may vary widely; some schools require 12–24 hours, while others require more than 75 hours.