To secure a good reference from a former employer, make your request before you provide her name and contact information to the new company.
- Call or email your former supervisor to request the reference at least two to three days before you provide her name.
- Ask if she is willing to give an employment reference for you.
How do you ask someone if you can use them as a reference?
Tips for Requesting a Reference
- Choose whom to ask wisely. Typically, you need to provide potential employers with three references.
- Phrase your request carefully.
- Include all the details.
- Use postal mail or email.
- Edit your correspondence carefully.
- Say thank you.
How do you ask for a professional reference?
Career and hiring experts shared their advice for getting a great professional recommendation.
- Ask a direct supervisor or professional mentor.
- Inform the person beforehand and give plenty of notice.
- Give your reference the appropriate background information.
- Inform the person how you’ll use their reference.
How do you ask for a reference via email?
Include your contact information: Include your email address and phone number in your message, so it’s easy for the person to respond and to follow up, if they have questions. Remember to say thank you: Conclude your request by thanking the reference provider for his or her consideration.