The MLA Style Center
- If a direct question contained in a sentence is long or has internal punctuation, set the question off with a comma and begin it with a capital letter:
- A single question contained in a sentence can also be preceded by a colon as long as the word before the question is not a verb.
How do you ask a question in a sentence?
Answer: In English, questions are asked by placing the verb before the subject and adding a question mark at the end of the sentence, as in “Is John a good speaker?” In English, statements are made by placing the subject before the verb, and adding a period at the end of the sentence, as in “John is a good speaker.”
How do you ask multiple questions in one sentence?
Question marks replace commas
This is a grammatically correct use of the question mark. It might look awkward to some, but the laws of grammar state that when multiple questions are asked in the same sentence, a “?” can be used in place of a comma to indicate multiple questions.
Can you put a question mark in the middle of a sentence?
1. Do not use a comma after a question mark occurring in the middle of a sentence. Do not use a period after a question mark occurring in the end of a sentence, even if followed by quotation marks.
How do you ask a question without asking?
How to Ask the Right Question in the Right Way
- Avoid asking rhetorical questions. A rhetorical question is a figure of speech in the form of a question.
- Ask friendly, clarifying questions.
- Don’t set traps.
- Ask open-ended questions.
- Be grateful.
- Avoid stress.
- Avoid being too direct.
- Silence is golden.
Is the word is a verb?
Is is a verb? Is is what is known as a state of being verb. State of being verbs do not express any specific activity or action but instead describe existence. The most common state of being verb is to be, along with its conjugations (is, am, are, was, were, being, been).
How do you introduce a question?
A single question contained in a sentence can also be preceded by a colon as long as the word before the question is not a verb. The question should start with a capital letter: The answer left us with another question: When can a question be preceded by a colon?
How do you write two questions in a sentence?
Compound Question. When someone asks two questions and uses “or” in between, there are two options: Put a comma/semicolon before the “or” that separates the two sentences and a question mark at the end; or make it into two questions.
What is meant by verb?
A verb is a word that expresses an action or a state of being. Because action verbs and linking verbs are strong enough to be used in sentences all by themselves, they are called main verbs.
How do you punctuate a quote within a sentence?
Proper Punctuation – Quotes
- If you start by telling who said it, use a comma and then the first quotation mark.
- If you put the quote first and then tell who said it, use a comma at the end of the sentence, and then the second quotation mark.
- Punctuation always goes inside the quotation marks if it is a direct quote.
Can a question be a statement?
Questions, commands and advice are typically not statements, because they do not express something that is either true or false. But sometimes people use them rhetorically to express statements. We saw an example of a question which by itself is not a statement, but can be used to express a statement.
Where do you put a question mark in a long sentence?
Note that you put a question mark at the end of a question, even if the words in the sentence are not in the normal question order, or some words are omitted. Care is needed here as such a sentence can look, at first sight, like a statement rather than a question.
Where do you put a question mark in a quote?
To sum up the rules on question marks:
- If the quoted words are a question, put the question mark inside the quotation marks.
- If the entire sentence is a question, put the question mark outside the quotation marks.
How do you politely ask for something?
Here are some tips on asking for favors:
- Be direct but polite.
- Don’t make it sound bad.
- Avoid guilt.
- Don’t cross the line.
- Show respect.
- Avoid constant one-sided favors.
- Be personal but straightforward.
- Take “No” for an answer.
What are different ways to ask how are you?
10 DIFFERENT WAYS TO SAY ‘HOW ARE YOU’ IN ENGLISH
How do you ask good questions?
Use these guidelines when developing questions:
- Plan your questions.
- Know your purpose.
- Open conversation.
- Speak your listener’s language.
- Use neutral wording.
- Follow general questions with specific ones.
- Focus your questions so they ask one thing at a time.
- Ask only essential questions.