Should you ask for a raise in writing?
If you can make a strong case for a salary increase, it may help to put a formal request in writing. Asking for a raise is not only difficult, it can be dangerous if you say the wrong thing. Saying the right thing, though, can help you get the increase you would like.
How do you politely ask for salary?
Be polite but direct in asking about the starting salary.
Show enthusiasm for the position. If the company has asked whether you’re interested in the job, you should thank them for their message, state that the position does sound interesting, and then write “May I ask what the salary range is?”
How do I ask my boss for a raise?
Top 10 Dos and Don’ts for Asking for a Raise
- Ask after a big accomplishment.
- Write, and rehearse, an agenda.
- Time your request accordingly.
- Dress the part.
- Have other options on the back burner.
- Don’t ask via email, if possible.
- Don’t ask at a high-stress time.