How to ask someone to be a reference
- First, be sure to give them enough time to respond before you apply or interview.
- Then, briefly recap how you know each other.
- Next, form your question in a way that lets them say no if they need to.
- Then, describe the job you are applying for.
- Next, send your resume to each reference.
How do you ask someone to be a reference?
Tips for Requesting a Reference
- Choose whom to ask wisely. Typically, you need to provide potential employers with three references.
- Phrase your request carefully.
- Include all the details.
- Use postal mail or email.
- Edit your correspondence carefully.
- Say thank you.
How do you ask someone to be a reference via email?
Include your contact information: Include your email address and phone number in your message, so it’s easy for the person to respond and to follow up, if they have questions. Remember to say thank you: Conclude your request by thanking the reference provider for his or her consideration.
How do you reference someone?
- Be honest about what you are and are not willing to say to the recruiter.
- Ask the candidate to refresh your memory about his top accomplishments and contributions if you haven’t worked together in awhile.
- Convey enthusiasm about your colleague and her ability to do the job well.