How do you ask for a presidential pardon?
Pardon Information and Instructions
- Submit the petition to the Office of the Pardon Attorney.
- Federal convictions only.
- Five-year waiting period required.
- Reason for seeking pardon.
- Multiple federal convictions.
- Pardon of a military offense.
- Additional arrest record.
- Credit status and civil lawsuits.
Can the president pardon anyone for anything?
Article 72 says that the president shall have the power to grant pardons, reprieves, respites or remissions of punishment or to suspend, remit or commute the sentence of any person convicted of any offence. The pardoned criminal will be like a normal citizen.
How do you ask a governor for a pardon?
The application process varies by state.
- Verify that you are eligible to apply. A governor cannot grant a pardon for a federal offense such as impeachment or treason.
- Ensure that your offense can be considered for a pardon.
- Fill out the application.
- Include required documentation.
- Mail in the paperwork.
How do you write a request for clemency?
A letter of clemency is just that: a letter asking a court to show mercy on a person convicted of a crime. So keep the main aim of the letter in mind as you write it. Explain carefully why you feel the person you are writing the letter for should be granted mercy. Plan your clemency letter before you write.