How do you ask a professor for a letter of recommendation via email?
To ask your professor for a letter of recommendation via email, start by including your name and the purpose of your email in the subject line, like “Recommendation for Sarah Smith.” Then, start your email with something like “I am writing to ask if you would be willing to write a letter of recommendation for me,”
How do you ask a professor for a letter of recommendation for grad school?
Requesting Letters of Recommendation
- Ask to meet with your recommender(s) to discuss your desire to apply to graduate school.
- Communicate with your recommenders about your goals for graduate study, your career aspirations, and how you chose your schools and programs.
- Give your recommenders a copy of your transcript and CV or resume.
How do you ask for a reference letter?
Tips for Requesting a Reference
- Choose whom to ask wisely. Typically, you need to provide potential employers with three references.
- Phrase your request carefully.
- Include all the details.
- Use postal mail or email.
- Edit your correspondence carefully.
- Say thank you.