First, see if the professor has a website, as they may well post syllabi publicly.
Then, I would be polite, explain that you want to get a head start on the reading, and ask if the online syllabus is a good starting point (if they have one online) and/or if they have a current or recent syllabus or book list.
Are professors required to give a syllabus?
3. The professor doesn’t give out a syllabus—or hands out a one-paragraph syllabus that is just the course description from the Web. Professors who don’t distribute a detailed syllabus probably don’t actually know what they’re going to do in the class this semester.
How can I write to my professor?
How to Email a Professor
- The Salutation. Start your email to your professor with a “Dear” or “Hello”.
- Provide Context. Some professors have hundreds of students and may need some context to be able to place you and answer your question.
- Keep it Short.
- Sign Off.
- Use a Clear Subject Line.
- Be Professional.
- Send It from Your University Email Address.
How do I ask my professor to raise my grade?
Here’s my advice:
- Be strategic. Always be honest and fair when you approach teachers with questions and commentary about your grades.
- Go the extra mile. Let your teacher know that you’re serious about their class and its associated coursework.
- Ask for help.
- Be present.
- Play up your strengths.
How do you ask a professor for research?
if asking for a research opportunity:
- state specifically your interest in that research group (you need to read the professor’s website)
- explain why research is important for your goals.
- ask to schedule a meeting or say that you will be coming to office hours.